Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review - Build Your Best Log Cabin

Recently I was contacted by someone at Fons and Porter to review their eBook 'Build Your Best Log Cabin'. I didn't know what to expect but decided to give it a try. They sent me a link where you can download the book for free.



The book was an interesting read. It gives a brief history of Log Cabin quilts and talks about variations in the block arrangements.  It also provides step by step instructions on how to piece the quilts along with measurement charts.

What really caught my attention was the Chevron or Off-Center pattern. It's a very modern take on the traditional log cabin arrangement. This illustrates how the log cabin block can be used as a building block for some interesting patterns. The zig-zag log cabin quilt is timeless. I love the simplicity of it.

I have not made a log cabin quilt yet but this book might be the one to get me started. I like it's concise nature akin to a handy manual. A lot of information packed in a few pages.

I however did try the lumpless binding tutorial provided at the end of the book. I used it in my Madrona Road Challenge quilt. Really liked the way it turned out. The instructions were simple enough to follow and there were plenty of photographs to follow along with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!