Thursday, March 2, 2017

Experiments with garment sewing

Lately completing a quilt has become a challenge for me. It is something I need to deal with, but with reduced sewing time I find myself distracted by smaller projects. One of them being garment sewing. I am no expert by any measure. I had purchased the 'Tova Tunic' pattern by Wiksten a while back and gingerly made my first top years ago, something I have never worn to this day.

I decided to give this another try, this time, a dress. I used this lovely Ikat woven fabric I picked up from Drygoods Design. I love how it turned out and it has been well worn.

This fabric is great for summer but a bit too breathable for winter so I got some Robert Kaufman Mammoth flannel that still needs to be made into a second dress. While making the dress I considered a sleeveless version of it. I pulled out this long hoarded print by Denyse Schmidt and made it sans sleeves and collar. I gave it contrast piping for a little embellishment. Cannot wait for warmer weather to wear this.



Sewing two of these dresses gave me the confidence to tackle yet one more project. I have been meaning to sew some pajamas for myself, so I got adventurous and ordered 'The Carolyn' pattern by Closet Case Patterns. I decided to grab the bull by the horns and go for the most complex option with piping.

It took me 3 long weekends to get this done. One to study the pattern and understand what needs to be done and the other two to cut and sew up the outfit. I used my serger for this one. The fabric is Manuscript from Papiere by Amy Sinibaldi for Art Gallery Fabrics




I love how they fit but I do find quilting fabric a little coarse for sleepwear. I purchased some soft double gauze to make another one. A project that still requires completion.

Just a short write up on my adventures with garment sewing. If you plan to tackle either of these patterns and are looking for tips feel free to contact me. I learnt a great deal along the way and would be happy to share.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Laptop cover

My sis-in-law has been asking me for a quilted laptop cover for a while now but I just could not find a pattern I liked. Finally I decided to make up my own and this is what I came up with.


I put some long hoarded Echino to good use. I paired it with this really nice green solid from 'In The Beginning'. I have been using a lot of green in my projects lately and was thrilled to know that Greenery is the Pantone color of the year for 2017.

I added an extra pocket in the front for papers and cables. The velcro fasteners are iron on and seem to hold up quite well.



Trusty sidekick approved.


Now to make one for my sis-in-law who is still waiting for hers. ;)

Friday, December 2, 2016

Unplugged

'Her quilts are like a prayer...'  said about the work of Judy Martin

While randomly browsing the internet I came upon a write up about the work of Judy Martin, fiber artist extraordinaire (an article that I can no longer locate) and this is what the author said of her work. I immediately looked her up and she talks about slow contemplative and meditative quilting on her blog. I was intrigued by the concept and decided to give this a try. 

Using the reverse appliqué dot tutorial on her blog, I dived into my scrap bin and picked out some neutral and green pieces of fabric and got started. 

Humble beginnings....


I made a few blocks at first, things looked good so I continued making more. Then on a nineteen hour flight to Indonesia with my mom last February this was the perfect portable project to keep busy with. I finished with all appliqué pieces I had on hand and decided to start putting them together. I did not have a sewing machine handy so instead started to hand piece (excuse the poor lighting).


By the time I got back from the trip, I pretty much had all the pieces put together and the top measured about a yard. It was a great mother-daughter trip  and I think that made the project even more enjoyable.


Then to decide on the quilting. I had been doing a bit of 'Kantha' quilting lately so that seemed like an obvious choice.

Once again, little by little it grew. I thank everyone on Instagram for putting up with my progress pictures.





For the back I used this lovely print from Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt. After all that hand quilting, hand stitched binding was in order and soon - it was done.


I was thrilled with the outcome. Awesome texture and just so worth it. This was my prayer as brief as it may have been. 

Waited for a good sunny day and of course better pictures.






I decided to call this quilt 'Unplugged' akin to acoustic music. I did not use a sewing machine in the making of this quilt. Only implements used were a needle and a pair of scissors. Am amazed how the most primitive process can produce something with such a modern aesthetic...or that some looks are timeless. They never go out of style, always fresh and always current.